Papercraft Objects: Final Revision
In part one I made a prototype of the Nintendo 64 symbol, however I wasn't really sure where I could take such a simple model without it looking like I was just adding extra meaningless polygons to it. I also wanted to work on my 3D Modelling ability and to attack a more complex model. I decided to recreate and modify a WWII German Tiger tank being a superior piece of engineering at the time.
Creating the model worked out pretty well though I had a few issues trying to line up the side panels so that they were closed poly surfaces. When unfolding the model it had to be broken up into several pieces to be assembled later such as the hatch area, barrel, upper body, lower body, axels and wheels. I found this to be a challenging project yet very enjoyable.
3D Model:
Unfolding I:
When originally working on this part I broke up the pieces and unfolded them though I didn't pay enough attention to how it would need to be assembled later and was unable to construct the model in paper out of this layout.
Creating the model worked out pretty well though I had a few issues trying to line up the side panels so that they were closed poly surfaces. When unfolding the model it had to be broken up into several pieces to be assembled later such as the hatch area, barrel, upper body, lower body, axels and wheels. I found this to be a challenging project yet very enjoyable.
3D Model:
Corner View
Side View
Rear View
Bottom View
Unfolding I:
When originally working on this part I broke up the pieces and unfolded them though I didn't pay enough attention to how it would need to be assembled later and was unable to construct the model in paper out of this layout.
Unfolded Pieces (First Attempt)
.
Paper Model (First Attempt)
Unfolding II:
On my second pass I decided to completely scrap the first unfolded version and restart the process planning out where every single piece would connect with a tab and be assembled together in the final version. I learned that on larger straight sections I could break it into two opposing tabs so that the pieces fit together like a puzzle and align easier. I also planned it out so that the top gun and wheels rotate.

Rethinking Assembly

Unfolded Pieces (Second Attempt)
Cut Paper Model:
When I built the final paper model the turret rotates however I decided to temporarily glue on the wheels because the paper track did not have enough traction to grip onto surfaces to actually make the wheels rotate. If I decide to revisit the model I will have to figure out a different material for the track or maybe create so sort of geared catch out of paper between the track and wheels so that they rotate smoothly on most surfaces.

Front Corner View I:

Front Corner View II:

Front View:

Rear View:

Bottom View:

Top View:

Side View:
.
Paper Model (First Attempt)
Unfolding II:
On my second pass I decided to completely scrap the first unfolded version and restart the process planning out where every single piece would connect with a tab and be assembled together in the final version. I learned that on larger straight sections I could break it into two opposing tabs so that the pieces fit together like a puzzle and align easier. I also planned it out so that the top gun and wheels rotate.
Rethinking Assembly
Unfolded Pieces (Second Attempt)
Cut Paper Model:
When I built the final paper model the turret rotates however I decided to temporarily glue on the wheels because the paper track did not have enough traction to grip onto surfaces to actually make the wheels rotate. If I decide to revisit the model I will have to figure out a different material for the track or maybe create so sort of geared catch out of paper between the track and wheels so that they rotate smoothly on most surfaces.
Front Corner View I:
Front Corner View II:
Front View:

Rear View:
Bottom View:
Top View:
Side View:
Comments
Post a Comment